Kingdom Turn Sequence

turn.jpg Like a PC, a kingdom’s stat block continues to evolve and advance as the kingdom expands, gathers more resources, purchases upgrades, and suffers defeats and setbacks. As the kingdom grows, its rulers will need to deal with a host of situations, all of which can further influence the kingdom’s statistics. A kingdom’s growth occurs in four phases, which together make up 1 kingdom turn, representing 1 month of game time. When you establish your kingdom, you should pick a day of each month to resolve that kingdom’s growth and fortunes— it’s best to set this as the last day of each month, so that any accomplishments you have made during that month can impact that month’s growth. The four phases are as follows:

Upkeep Phase

During the Upkeep phase, you adjust your kingdom’s scores based on what’s happened in the past month, how happy the people are, how much they’ve consumed and are taxed, and so on. If your kingdom currently controls 0 hexes, skip this phase and proceed to the Edict phase.
Step 1— Determine kingdom stability. Attempt a Stability check. If you succeed, Unrest decreases by 1 (if this would reduce your Unrest below 0, add 1 BP to your Treasury instead). If you fail by 4 or less, Unrest increases by 1; if you fail by 5 or more, Unrest increases by 1d4.
Step 2— Pay consumption. Subtract your kingdom’s Consumption from your kingdom’s Treasury. If your Treasury is negative after paying Consumption, Unrest increases by 2.
Step 3— Fill vacant magic item slots. If any of your settlement districts have buildings that produce magic items (such as a Caster’s Tower or Herbalist) with vacant magic item slots, there is a chance of those slots filling with new items.
Step 4— Modify unrest. Unrest increases by 1 for each kingdom attribute (Economy, Loyalty, or Stability) that is a negative number. The Royal Enforcer may attempt to reduce Unrest during this step. If the kingdom’s Unrest is 11 or higher, it loses 1 hex (the leaders choose which hex). If your kingdom’s Unrest ever reaches 20, the kingdom falls into anarchy. While in anarchy, your kingdom can take no action and treats all Economy, Loyalty, and Stability check results as 0. Restoring order once a kingdom falls into anarchy typically requires a number of quests and lengthy adventures by you and the other would-be leaders to restore the people’s faith in you.

Edict Phase

The Edict phase is when you make proclamations on expansion, improvements, taxation, holidays and so on.
Step 1— Assign leadership. Assign PCs or NPCs to any vacant leadership roles or change the roles being filled by particular PCs or closely allied NPCs.
Step 2— Claim and abandon hexes. For your kingdom to grow, you must claim additional hexes. You can only claim a hex that is adjacent to at least 1 other hex in your kingdom. Before you can claim it, the hex must first be explored, then cleared of monsters and dangerous hazards. Then, to claim the hex, spend 1 BP; this establishes the hex as part of your kingdom and increases your kingdom’s Size by 1. The Improvement Edicts table below tells you the maximum number of hexes you can claim per turn. You may abandon any number of hexes to reduce your kingdom’s Size (which you may wish to do to manage Consumption). Doing so increases Unrest by 1 for each hex abandoned (or by 4 if the hex contained a settlement). This otherwise functions like losing a hex due to Unrest (see Step 4 of the Upkeep phase).
Step 3— Build terrain improvements. You may spend BP to build terrain improvements like Farms, Forts, Roads, Mines, and Quarries (see Terrain Improvements for details). You may also prepare a hex for constructing a settlement. Depending on the site, this may involve clearing trees, moving boulders, digging sanitation trenches, and so forth (see the Terrain and Terrain Improvements table under Kingdom Creation to determine how many BPs this requires). The Improvement Edicts table below tells you the maximum number of terrain improvements you can make per turn.
Step 4— Create and improve settlements. You may create a settlement in a claimed hex (following the same rules as you did for founding your first settlement). Again, the Improvement Edicts table below tells you the maximum number of settlements you can establish per turn. You may construct a building in any settlement in your kingdom. When a building is completed, apply its modifiers to your kingdom sheet. The Improvement Edicts table below tells you the maximum number of building you can construct in your kingdom per turn. The first House, Mansion, Noble Villa, or Tenement your kingdom builds each turn does not count against that limit.

Improvement Edicts

Kingdom Size New Settlements* New Buildings** Terrain Improvements Hex Claims
1-10 1 1 2 1
11-25 1 2 3 2
26-50 1 5 5 3
51-100 2 10 7 4
101-200 3 20 9 8
201+ 4 No limit 12 12
* Instead of creating a new settlement, your kingdom may create a new army unit, expand or equip an existing army unit, or bring an existing army unit back to full strength.
** Upgrading a building (for example, from a Shrine to a Temple) or destroying a building counts toward this limit.

Step 5— Create army units. You may create, expand, equip, or repair army units.
Step 6— Issue edicts. Select or adjust your edict levels.

Income Phase

During the Income phase, you may add or withdraw from the Treasury as well as collect taxes.
Step 1— Make withdrawals from the Treasury. The kingdom building rules allow you to expend BP on things related to running the kingdom. If you want to spend some of the kingdom’s resources on something for your own personal benefit (such as new magic item), you may withdraw BP from the Treasury and convert it into gp once per turn, but there is a penalty for doing so. Each time you withdraw BP for your personal use, Unrest increases by the number of BP withdrawn. Each BP you withdraw this way converts to 2,000 gp of personal funds.
Step 2— Make deposits to the Treasury. You can add funds to a kingdom’s Treasury by donating your personal wealth to the kingdom— coins, gems, jewelry, weapons, armor, magic items, and other valuables you find while adventuring, as long as they are individually worth 4,000 gp or less. For every full 4,000 gp in value of the deposit, increase your kingdom’s BP by 1. If you want to donate an item that is worth more than 4,000 gp, refer to Step 3 instead.
Step 3— Sell expensive items for BP. You can attempt to sell expensive personal items (that is, items worth more than 4,000 gp each) through your kingdom’s markets to add to your Treasury. You may sell one item per settlement district per turn. You must choose the settlement where you want to sell the item, and the item cannot be worth more than the base value of that settlement. To sell an item, divide its price by half (as if selling it to an NPC for gp), divide the result by 4,000 (rounded down), and add that many BP to your Treasury. You cannot use this step to sell magic items held or created by buildings in your settlements as those items are the property of the owners of those businesses.
Step 4— Collect taxes. Attempt an Economy check, divide the result by the number as indicated by your taxation edict, and add a number of BP to your Treasury equal to the result (rounded down).

Event Phase

In the Event Phase, a random event may affect your kingdom as a whole or a single settlement or hex. There is a 25% chance of an event occurring. If no event occurred during the last turn, this chance increases to 75%. Some events can be negated, ended, or compensated for with some kind of kingdom check. Others, such as a rampaging monster, require you to complete an adventure or deal with a problem in a way not covered by the kingdom building rules. In addition, the DM may have an adventure or campaign specific event take place. Other events may also happen during this phase, such as independence or unification.

These phases are always undertaken in the above order. Many steps allow you to perform an action once per kingdom turn; this means once for the entire kingdom, not once per leader.

Who Rolls the Kingdom Check?

Running a kingdom is more fun if all the players are involved and each is responsible for making some of the kingdom checks. You can start with the following die roll responsibilities and modify them to suit your kingdom and your own preferences.

Ruler: Loyalty checks, any checks or edicts not covered by other rulers
Consort: As Ruler when Ruler is unavailable
Councilor: Holiday edicts
General: Kingdom checks for events requiring combat
Grand Diplomat: Diplomatic edicts
High Priest: Holiday edicts, rolls to generate magic items from Cathedrals, Shrines, and Temples
Magister: Rolls to general magic items not rolled by the High Priest
Marshal: Exploration edicts
Royal Enforcer: Loyalty checks to reduce Unrest or prevent Unrest increases
Spymaster: Kingdom checks involving crime and foreigners
Treasurer: Economy checks, Taxation edicts, Trade edicts
Warden: Stability checks

Kingdom Turn Sequence

Rise of Nations sephirothnomiko